Laser Ablation Multi Collector Inductively Coupled Plasma mass Spectrometer (LA-MC-ICPMS)Geochronology & Isotope Geology Studies
||LA-MC-ICPMS is a new facility, setup in December 2013 in the Geochronology & Isotope Geology Division, Kolkata. The facility consists of (a)
Nu Plasma-II MC-ICPMS from M/S Nu Instruments, UK and (b) 193nM NWR Laser Ablation unit from M/S New wave Research, USA.
The Nu Plasma-II system is composed of three primary components: (i) an inductively coupled plasma ion source, where ions are produced,
accelerated, and focused; (ii)an analyzer, where the ions are focused and filtered to produce a beam in which the ions have the same approximate
energy and can be separated based on their mass/charge ratios and (iii) a series of fixed collectors, where the ion beams are measured simultaneously.|
Standard Operating Procedure
- High Precision Isotopic Analyses of a large range of Elements with the help of multi collector enabling simultaneous detection of isotopic ratios
- Presently zircon U-Pb-Hf analysis using laser ablation and Pb and Sr isotopic analysis in solution mode are being carried out in the instrument.
- Dating of rocks and minerals by radiogenic isotopic systematics like zircon U-Pb-Hf, Rb-Sr etc.
- Principal use in insitu isotopic analysis of microzones / spots in single crystal and in tracer studies of geological events.
- Principal use in tracer studies of geological events Insitu isotopic analysis of microzones/ spots in single crystal
- Environmental studies Pb isotope systematics.
- Tracer studies for crustal evolution, magma genesis, characterisation of mineral deposits using Sr & Pb isotopic geochemistry.
Additional Director General
National Mission Head-IV
Geological Survey of India
15 A & B Kyd Street
|Copyright 2020 © Geological Survey of India|
This website (https://www.gsi.gov.in) is hosted by GSI (Geological Survey of India), Ministry of Mines, Government of India. Site is best viewed in 1366x768 resolution. Use Chrome 52.0.2743.116, Firefox 47.0.1, IE 11, or above for best user experience. Disclaimer: GSI is not responsible or liable for any damages of any kind arising out of the use or reference of any information contained within the site. While the information contained within the site is periodically updated, no guarantee is given that the information provided in this Web site is correct, complete, and up-to-date. This site may include links providing direct access to other Web sites or internet resources. GSI is not responsible for the accuracy or content of information contained in these sites. GSI does not endorse any of these external third-party web sites, their products or services.